Northern Liberties Gas Company (Philadelphia, Pa.) Records

Collection ID: 
Acc. 709
Date: 
1852-1900
Footage: 
1 linear foot
Collecting Area: 

 

HISTORICAL NOTE
 

The company with offices located at Third and Brown Streets, was established on March 15, 1838 and was incorporated in 1844. It served a region bordered by the Delaware River, Sixth Street, Vine and Thompson Streets. In 1900 it began to provide service to customers using the facilities of the City of Philadelphia and was purchased by the Philadelphia Gas Works in 1955 for Alfred F. Moore, Jacob Taylor, Marlin H. Dickinson, and William M. Fox, members of the Committee on Finance.

COLLECTION OVERVIEW
 

The collection consists of four manuscript volumes. The volume numbers are assigned.


ACQUISITION INFORMATION

Purchased with Paley Endowment Funds, January 26, 1990.


INVENTORY

Volume 1- Finance.

April, 1889-July, 1895.
{Receipts and Payments of cash. Bills Presented to Committee of Finance

Volume 2- Finance.

July, 1895-1900.
{Same as Volume 1}

Volume 3- Pay Lists of Workman Employed at the Northern Liberties Gas Works.

1852-1958.
{Distributions of Amounts – Northern Liberties, Kensington, Richmond-further
broken down into categories of works, repairs, services, main, gas and public lamps}

Volume 4- Divided Book No. 3.

{Dividend No. 79, 1875-No. 105. 1885.
Signature for individual dividends received}