- Albert M. Greenfield SCRC Reading Room
- Camera Use Policy
- Instruction & Class Visits
- Registration & Security in the Special Collections Research Center
- Request Copies of SCRC Materials
- Request Materials from SCRC
- SCRC Catalog Search
- SCRC Researcher Account
- SCRC Statement on Potentially Harmful Language in Archival Description and Cataloging
- Schedule a Library Instruction Session
Camera Use Policy
Researchers may take photographs of collection materials for study purposes only, based on the physical condition of the materials, copyright law, donor restrictions, and reading room rules below:
- User will obtain permission from SCRC staff before taking any photographs.
- User will provide a list of all items photographed.
- User will not photograph more than 20 percent of any book, manuscript, or collection (whichever is smaller).
- Researcher will use personal camera or phone camera only. Portable scanners are not permitted.
- Researcher will include in each photograph a strip provided by the SCRC stating repository name and copyright notice.
- It is the researcher’s responsibility to keep accurate for all items photographed, which will be needed when ordering publication-quality images or requesting permission to quote.
Materials handling rules
- Researcher will handle the materials with care and according to SCRC rules.
- Researcher will not bend, press down, or otherwise manipulate or rearrange materials to get a better photograph.
- Researcher will keep materials flat on the table or in the stand/cradle provided.
- Researcher will ask staff for assistance with fastened items.
- Researcher will not remove items from their plastic sleeves.
- Researcher will not stand on chairs, tables, or other furniture.
- Researcher will turn off the flash and sound on camera.
- Researcher will not use lights or camera stands.
- Researcher will not take photographs of the staff, reading room, or other researchers.
- Researcher understands that the SCRC reserves the right to deny permission to photograph collection materials in its sole discretion.
- Researcher will use the photographs solely for private study, scholarship and research.
- Researcher will not publish the photographs in print, post them on the Internet, nor exhibit them without the permission of the copyright owner.
- Researcher will not donate, sell, or provide the photographs to another repository.
- Researcher will request publication-quality images from the SCRC at its standard fees.
- It is the researcher’s responsibility to obtain permission to publish from copyright owners.
Warning Concerning Copyright Restrictions
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in any manner exceeding the permission granted or contrary to law, that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This SCRC reserves the right to refuse a copying request if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would violate or facilitate violation of copyright law.