North Broad Press
North Broad Press is a joint publishing project between Temple University Press and Temple University Libraries. We publish works of scholarship, both new and reissued, from the Temple University community. We primarily publish textbooks with limited additional capacity to publish scholarly monographs, edited volumes, and digital scholarly projects. We consider other types of publications on a case-by-case basis. Everything North Broad Press publishes is open access and peer reviewed.
Any individual faculty, student, staff member, department, center, or college associated with Temple University is eligible to submit their own scholarly content to North Broad Press for possible publication. In addition, we accept proposals for publications from nonprofit external organizations and societies located in Philadelphia, as long as they are sponsored by a Temple faculty member.
Our basic services are offered to our affiliates without charge. In addition, we offer stipends to some Temple faculty members who author open textbooks with us.
The core principles of North Broad Press are:
- We believe that the Libraries and the Press are critical resources for publishing expertise on campus.
- We believe that the unfettered flow of ideas, scholarship and knowledge is necessary to support learning, clinical practice, and research, and to stimulate creativity and the intellectual enterprise.
- We support Temple faculty, students, and staff by making their work available to audiences around the world via open access publishing.
- We believe that the scholarly ecosystem works best when creators retain their copyrights.
- We believe in experimentation and innovation in academic publishing.
- We work to decrease the cost of higher education and improve learning outcomes for students by publishing high quality open textbooks and other open educational resources.
- We believe in the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and promote these values through our publications.
- We commit to making our publications accessible to all who need to use them.
- We believe place matters. Our publications reflect Temple University and the North Philadelphia community of which we are a part.
We would be happy to have an initial consultation with you to determine if North Broad Press is the right option for your publishing needs. We will also lay out the scope of our services and potential workload associated with your project.
Assistant Director for Open Publishing Initiatives and Scholarly Communications
Scholarly Communications Assistant
Mary Rose Muccie
Scholarly Communications Officer and Executive Director, Temple University Press